August 8, 2010
Well, since it is the weekend, I bet I can handle two blogs in a row!
One of our big projects this summer was to finish our kayak trailer before we went camping. I got the frame last summer at a yard sale for $30. In the late spring, my dad offered to take the frame and fix the wiring harness, get the tail lights working and to clean, grease and repack the wheel bearings. About two weeks before camping, I was registering the trailer, getting a trailer hitch put on my car and then we started making the body and kayak frame for the trailer.
Here’s the before shot.
Here’s the trailer with the box made and the uprights on which to strap the kayaks.
Nature Boy wanted the trailer to look “natural” so I let him pick some stain at Lowe’s and he stained most of the pieces himself. We cheated too, and got one of the stains and polyurethane all-in-one stuff….But it made the process go much faster!
And here is the trailer packed with camping gear in the bottom and the kayaks on the top.
Not too shabby, eh? It was actually wonderful as it was easy peasy to load up the kayaks.
Now, I had never driven with a trailer before. And we really only finished the trailer the day before we left for camping, so I had trailer driving baptism by fire. It went fine, but I can’t back it up very well yet! Luckily, it is light enough that we can unhitch it from the car to move it around! And I am sure I will get more practice at maneuvering it.
And speaking of camping, the butterfly on yesterday’s blog was one we saw at our campsite. We had never seen that kind of butterfly (the campground was about two hours south of where we live, likely it’s too cold up here) before. It is a Red-spotted purple.
K…gotta run, lunch is ready. I’ll try to blog at least once during the week!